Sunday, September 12, 2010

September 11th...

It was a bit of a funny day yesterday. It's certainly a very different feeling remembering about what happened 9 years ago, and actually being in New York.

I know I was here on September 11th last year too, but for some reason I can't remember thinking about it as much. I probably didn't feel as attached to the place as I do now (It might also be that I didn't have a telly, so I wasn't able to watch all the programmes that seem to have been on back-to-back for the past couple of days).

Now that I know New York a bit better, now that I'm familiar with the buildings and the skyline and now that I know more about the city and people in it, it's changed the way I think about the attacks. Before living here, it was obviously a disastrous event, but it was a bit easier to feel detached from it - but now it's somehow feels worse. We see these video clips on the telly, seeing the days events unfold, and we recognise buildings in the shots, we recognise some of the streets that people are running down and it makes it all seem a little more real. Even though it was 9 years ago!

It's a bit odd really.

No comments:

Post a Comment