Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Our Neigbourhood...

One of the nice things about the walk was that it I could explore some the streets near our apartment, I deliberately got off Myrtle Avenue (which runs right to the Manhattan Bridge), so I could see some of the other little side streets.

Turns out there's some quite interesting places about...

There are quite a few hand-painted shop signs around, I particularly like this one, I'm not really sure why, but I think the lights and the different coloured holding shape make me think of Coney Island for some reason...?

I LOVE old signs like these - unfortunately the Bakery was no long in business.

Opposite the old Bakery was a placed called the Wallabout Society - it looked more like a crazy person's house though. The building was completely covered with the ranting and ravings of the 'society' expressing their wish to preserve the area and keep High-Rise buildings out (which is fair enough). Each letter was individually stuck on the wall, and in term each letter was individually starting to peel off. I don't think the society was running anymore...

I don't think I've ever seen one of these Obama prints in real leaf, not up in someones window at least. The colours have started to fade a bit - but it's still a powerful poster... it's a shame they've let it fade, they're worth a fortune now!

2 comments:

  1. The writing reminds me of that house on Jersey with mad writings all over it. I think it was on Mont Cochon. Mad people get everywhere don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's EXACTLY what it reminded me of too!

    ReplyDelete