Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lazy Weekend...

We've had a bit of a lovely and lazy weekend, it's been wonderful.

Yesterday morning we went into Manhattan and got breakfast at a place called Chat n' Chew, it's right round the corner from work. Abi and I had been there before on evening and noticed their breakfast menu looked rather tasty, and has said we should go back one time... so we did.

Abi had Triple Blueberry pancakes, with blueberry's in the pancakes, blueberry's on top of the pancakes and with blueberry butter melting over the pancakes... delicious. I had eggs benedict - having had some pretty disappointing eggs benedict experiences in New York, I have to say Chat n' Chew do a mean eggs benedict (nearly a rival for Chatters... nearly).

Then we went to the cinema, at noon! I can't remember the last time I've been to the cinema in the day time - but it was great. We went to a new cinema near work (new to us, not new in general, it was pretty old in general) to see a film called Easy A.

It's funny little film, it's a bit of a teeny film (like Mean Girls) but it's still funny and Emma Stone (who was in Superbad and Zombieland) is great in it... it's also got that man who seems to be in EVERYTHING, he was in Julia and Julie and in The Devil Wears Prada, but I'm not sure what his name is... I suppose I could look it up as I'm on the internet. Hang on...
He's called Stanley Tucci, it's also got Malcolm McDowell in too.

It was good fun, and a perfect afternoon film.

(Little coincidence, we spotted these A's in the subway station on the way home)

Then today, we've done very little but relax really (and boring stuff like tidy the apartment and take stuff to the laundromat), but we did go for a wander down Myrtle Avenue. We thought we'd keep walking after dropping off our washing, so we walked up to Maggie Brown's.

Tom and I went to Maggie Brown's last summer when we were house sitting at Malvina's, and I think I'd been back a couple of times since, but Abi and I had never been together and we were craving burgers, so we went in for some lunch. It's a great little restaurant/brunch place/bar with a very friendly local atmosphere. They were playing fantastic music (Elvis and The Beatles) and their burgers were absolutely DELICIOUS! So I have a feeling we'll be heading back there.

There was a section of Myrtle Avenue that had been blocked off and pedestrianised for the day. It had been taken over by all the local children, covering the tarmac with colourful chalk drawings, hoola-hooping and riding scooters up and down, it was great. As we walked back we walked past a band setting up their instruments to play in the middle of the street, and another local bar was blasting out tunes and filling the air with delicious BBQ smells, there was a little block party kicking off.

So despite not really going very far today (just 10 blocks up the road) we've made new discoveries (including a shop that Abi's going to spend all her money in, called Barking Brown which sells some rather nice hats and boots) and experienced yet another side of Brooklyn life.

I just wish I'd taken my phone or camera to Maggie Brown's so I could have take some pictures of the goings on, but it was quite nice to just take it in... next time I'll get some photos.

I know this hasn't been the most exciting of blog posts... but we've had a brilliant weekend and I hope you all have had too.

1 comment: