Sunday, August 9, 2009

Staten Island...


Yesterday I took the free ferry over to Staten Island... it took about 30 minutes to cross over the river, chugging past the Statue of Liberty in our big orange boat.

Once I got to the other side I was a bit surprised at the contrast to Manhattan, there are a fair few shabby looking buildings, some abandoned ones too, but there were also some really lovely buildings that looked like courthouses or town hallish type places.

I walked around for a bit, struggling with the hills (there really aren't any proper hills in Manhattan) - it all felt eerily quiet really, despite it being Saturday afternoon... I wasn't really sure where I was going or what there was to do there. My trusty iPhone showed me that there was some where called Snug Harbor, it was about 1.5 miles away from the ferry port so I walked along to find it...

No comments:

Post a Comment