Saturday, August 15, 2009

Fish Friday...

Yesterday lunch time, in true Elmwood tradition we went for a Friday Fish Butty! I'd been told about a genuine British chippy called A Salt & Battery. It was brilliant and HEAVING! I didn't managed to take any good photos of it, but it's just like being back at home (except there aren't any pickled eggs!)... they even had Tango!

It was funny having to explain to an American man what a 'Chip Butty' was - but they were all loving it. So were the people working behind the counter, they were all from the UK and they were having so much fun.

Unfortunately there were some people in there who were you typical Brit Abroad and were just being laddish and talking about football and stuff - but it was quite nice in a strange way... well, not nice - but it made me appreciate certain aspects of home and certain aspects of New York.

It was a mighty fine fish butty and I'll most certainly be going back, probably in the winter as I was ROASTING yesterday... but it was nice to sit on the bench outside.

The chippy is next to a shop that's run by the same people called Tea & Sympathy. Not surprisingly, they sell tea - so I'm going to pop in there and have a look soon (although I noticed on the A Salt & Battery website that they're charging $17 for a box of PG Tips!)... I'm going to see if they'd stock Make Mine A Builders!


No comments:

Post a Comment