Sunday, August 9, 2009

Snug Harbor...

Unfortunately I didn't really do my research on Snug Harbor, so I'm not entirely sure what it used to be, although it feels a bit like an ex-military place that's now been turned into a collection of gardens, galleries and museums.

There a lots of different gardens, butterfly gardens, botanical gardens, healing gardens, chinese gardens, secret gardens... lots and there's children's museum (which looked great!) and a small art gallery which had some Henry Moore work in, some miniature sculptures and sketch books - so he must have spent some time there.

There were also quite a few weddings going on, I think I saw about 3 different wedding parties in about 15 mintues. One of them looked like a mobster's wedding, they all had really strong New York accents and were a little garishly dressed - everyone looked very happy though.

It was a really peaceful place to be, it was silent - such a massive contrast to Manhattan, it felt like I was hundreds of miles away not just 30 minutes. It was very quiet in terms of people too, there weren't many tourists about, maybe there would have been more had I gone in June or July (I'm pleased that it was quiet though). I think it'd be a great place to go and take a book and a blanket and a little picnic...

1 comment:

  1. (From Pops) This looks an interesting little place, especially the small buildins - and the gardens look nice too. It would be interesting to know more about it!

    ReplyDelete