Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bedford Findings...

It's been a wee while since I strolled around the Bedford Avenue area, and I wanted to find where these two bowling alleys were, so this afternoon I went for a bit of an explore...

It was a beautifully sunny day today and bloody BOILING! Everything looked lovely in the sunshine, even all the run-down and abandoned factory buildings looked very photogenic in the sun.

I managed to find the bowling alleys, they're in the old industrial area of Williamsburg, fairly close to the river, so I could see the Manhattan skyline as I was walking around. Near the bowling alley was this great garage that had a beautiful old red pickup truck parked outside and two fantastic motorbikes parked in the entrance - this mighty fine yellow van was parked across the road.

I was thinking yesterday that I would like to find the Brooklyn Lager Brewery, but I didn't know where it was... well - it's just round the corner from one of the bowling alleys, I think the two buildings are joined together actually... so I'll be paying them a visit soon I think.

I love all the different houses and apartment buildings around Bedford Avenue, off on of the North streets I spotted this building that was being renovated. It had the most amazing porch, it was all copper with very intricate patterns... very grand looking (quite out of place really). It looked very impressive with the sun shining off the copper (or brass? Or both?!)...

I thought this Barber Emporium looked very quaint with the red awning and the groovy bike chained up outside... after further inspection I realised it was a motorised bike! Maybe if I get round to getting my hair cut I'll go here...?

I also found some shops that I'd not noticed before - one was a fantastic, big, cluttered junk shop - it had all sorts of things. Including old battered acoustic guitars for $50, I think I might go in and barter with them and then get it fixed, get the nut and bridge flipped and get it restrung... they looked fantastic, like the little acoustic guitars people had in the 50s. I'm not sure how old they actually were, but I loved the look of them... so watch this space!


1 comment:

  1. I just LOVE the front door! It will be great for you to walk by,now and again, and watch the renovation take place.

    Looks like it was an amazing day - with more beautiful blue skies.

    You're not going to forget the summer of 2009!

    ReplyDelete