Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!
It's been lovely to see lots of families taking their children out trick or treating, some of the babies have looked incredibly cute all dressed up as pumpkins and bears and ladybirds and bumble bees... there have been Transformers, Fairies, X-Men, Pirates, Withes and Wizards and then there have been some people who are just carrying a plastic bag and haven't dressed up at all, but are still expecting sweets.

I think the best costume I've seen whilst out and about today though has to be the two girls who were dressed up as Macs - the were wearing white boiler suits and had made very impressive frosted perspex 3D Apple logos that lit up around their necks...

What I've found a bit odd though is that because around Williamsburg (and Bedstuy I suppose) there are so many apartment buildings, so it makes it a bit harder to trick or treat than living in the suburbs - so the children just go into all the shops instead!!! Newsagents, Estate Agents, Chemists, Grocery Shops... even Dunkin Donuts! They just walk in and say trick or treat and help themselves to some sweets (some of them don't even say trick or treat!). It's been nice to see some of the parents dressing up too.

I must say that is was a little off putting walking into the hairdressers and seeing a Zombie sitting behind the desk - the thing is with getting your hair cut at Hair Metal, you're never sure if the people are in fancy dress or not! I had to think twice about saying 'I like your costume' to the girl who cut my hair because it wasn't far off what people in Brooklyn wear anyway...!

I was going to go and see the parade in the Village this evening - but the pumpkin carving took FAR longer than I'd imagined... I'm afraid I had some rather grand plans for my pumkins, but after cutting my finger I started to resent them - so out of the 3 I carved, only one is remotely good and that's only because I put the little witches hat from my Halloween sweet (from Dylan's Candy Bar, thank you Mops and Pops!) on it... I'm very disappointed.

I'm going to watch Zombie films now to cheer myself up...


2 comments:

  1. That's the widest grin ever - obviously a very happy pumpkin!
    Are you making pumpkin pie/soup/cake with all the remnants?
    We had 3 groups of trick or treaters including a most impressive group of witches presumably from St Anselms!!!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great pumpkin ... I didn't even buy one, although I did see about five groups of children as I drove to Fay's - no one knocked for sweets though.

    There are quiet a few horror films on TV this weekend (and week). I'm off to see SAW 6 on Friday during my day off!

    ReplyDelete