Monday, November 2, 2009

New York Marathon 2009...

On Sunday, I was walking to the launderette and in the distance I could hear some music... as I got closer I could see the road had been blocked off and there were crowds gathering... as I got even closer I could see lots of people running down Bedford Avenue... I'd completely forgotten it was the NEW YORK MARATHON! The route went right outside my launderette!

It was just incredible to see all the runners and all the crowds who had come out to cheer them on. There were some massive speakers out on the street and some MCs cheering people on, getting the crowd going, getting everyone cheering 'Neeeeew Yooooork!'.

There were lots of families out, lots of children having fun with the celebrations, lots of people cheering in the runners, people jumping up and down, clapping and whoooping - the atmosphere was electric and unexpectedly moving, I got rather emotional.

There were all sorts of people running, all ages, all abilities, all nationalities, all dress-senses... there were some real characters about and everyone (well, mostly) seemed so so happy to be taking part.

No comments:

Post a Comment