Sunday, November 29, 2009

Festive Cheerleaders...

While I was having a little sit down outside Macy's (I needed to recover), a group of people clad in checked shirts and puffer vests came running over the road whooping and cheering and waving pom-poms around, followed by some drummers...

They were the GAP Cheerleaders and they were just throwing free jumpers at people (or to people)! At first I don't think people really realised what was going on, but as soon as they heard the word 'free' and saw things being thrown, they swarmed around the cheerleaders - some even RAN!

I walked over incredibly nonchalantly to have a closer look - they were giving away striped jumpers. As long as you put your hands in the air, waved them around like you just don't care and screamed along with them, you might just get a jumper.

It was a great little bit of guerilla marketing - it caused quite a stir and looked really great (as you can see they did some throwing and catching).

I think the best bit was, that there was all this commotion going on, all the cheering and clapping and they were throwing the jumpers out willy nilly, then a man standing next to me very calmly asks 'Do you have one in a large?'... typical.

2 comments:

  1. They must trust each other. I can understand throwing jumpers, but throwing people!!!! by the way - did you happen to catch either a jumper or a person...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha... Nooo,all the jumpers were being thrown into the bigger, more excitable part of the crowd - I wasn't waving my arms around enough.

    ReplyDelete