Saturday, November 21, 2009

Lovely Lovely Cobble Hill...

This afternoon I went exploring around Cobble Hill. I want to live there SO MUCH!
When I went for fish and chips with Will and Ting they'd said that I should go and look around Court Street - they'd raved about the area and said that they'd been looking to move there but it was a wee bit pricey (apartments there are tres expen$$$ive !). So I went for a mooch this afternoon.

Court Street is fantastic, it's full of shops, restaurants, bars, spas, deli's, wine shops, pizzerias... all sorts - and it has a really relaxed feel about it. It was really busy with all sorts of people, the cinema had a huge queue outside it (I'm not sure what they were showing though...), lots of people were in the different butchers getting bits and pieces ready for Thanksgiving on Wednesday. The atmosphere was so lovely.

This, believe it or not is a super market! It's a Trader Joes (a big American supermarket chain), but the building is fantastic, makes a lovely change from some of the grotty buildings we have supermarkets in. There are lots beauitful architecture about.

Cobble Hill is the next-door Neighbourhood to Brooklyn Heights, which is the super dooper posh and expensive area that I went to with Will and Ting. The wealth has certainly spread, but whereas Brooklyn Heights was incredibly quiet and felt very private, Cobble Hill is full of life and feels really community orientated.

It seems to be the place to start/raise a family in Brooklyn, there were SO many young families about, new Mummies pushing prams, young Daddies with those funny baby sling things... lots of people walking their dogs (proper dogs too, not silly rat like things). I was got the feeling that people really knew each other, it was lovely.

I looked in the window of some of the estate agencies (or realty places) and some of the prices for buying apartments around the area were crazy... but then there were some that seemed pretty reasonable, I'm not sure how big they were, but compared to what a flat might cost in Leeds, it wasn't too bad - considering the area's so beautiful. Apartment's are a wee bit too expensive for my budget right now, maybe when I'm working for Pentagram...?!

This was a little place called Sweet Melissa's, it was two shops, one was a patisserie and the other was this stunning cremerie (do they just sell cream?! Is it a made up American word?). There were lots of lovely indenpendant boutiquey shops around too - it's such a fantastic area and it's not too far away (a couple of train stops), so I hope I'll be able to go back there and sample some of the yummy looking restaurants.

2 comments:

  1. It's so lovely to know that you will be with family too at Thanksgiving this year. Have a wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait - I'm looking forward to cooking the big turkey, although I don't think they have little sausages here. Just as well really because it'll make them extra special at Christmas!

    We'll do a blog entry for the cooking... hopefully there'll be a photo of a successful Thanksgiving tea at the end of it! I wish you were going to be here too...

    ReplyDelete