Friday, October 30, 2009

Fairey Tale...

Last night I got the train up to Times Square to the Levis store for a rather special event. Shepard Fairey (the artist who did those brilliant Obama Posters) has collaborated with Levis and produced a line of clothing which launched last night in New York.

To celebrate the launch, Mister Fairey was doing a live installation right in the middle of Times Square and then he was doing a signing of his prints, so I bought a T-shirt (which I'm wearing right now) got my free prints and got in line to get them signed.

The hording around the store had been tagged and decorated... it looked great.

The installation must have been about 7 feet high and 24-30 feet wide, it looked great - and they actually had people sitting and watching the whole thing, they had seats set up for spectators.

If you bought an item of clothing from the new range you got 4 free limited edition prints which were double sided. One one side they're 4 individual prints but if you flip them over you can put them together to make a big picture of a punk...

Initially we were told that we'd only be allowed to get one poster signed, but people had loads of different prints - some people had copies of the ORIGINAL Obama prints that he did (which apparently are worth more than $5,000 each now!). Luckily if you lined up the prints just right he would sign all of them, so I managed to get all four prints signed... who knows - they might be worth a bit in a year or two?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic, and we know just where you were! But how did you hear about the launch in the first place? The Obama prints will be iconic for many years to come so you never know - you may have a little nest egg there! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out from a blog (FreeNYC), I had seen the hording when we'd walked past the shop that weekend, but I didn't know what it was about.

    I think the people with Obama prints will be able to retire on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just looked on eBay and the signed prints are already up for sale... at $500!!! The unsigned prints are up for $200... unbelievable... people are so fast to get things up there and getting rid of them.

    I think I'll just enjoy mine for a while.

    ReplyDelete