Monday, April 22, 2013

Charles Vergos Rendezvous...

The next stop on our Memphis Tour was Charles Vergos Rendezvous...

It might not look much from the outside, in fact the front entrance is in an alley facing a multistory car park, but this place is THE place to go for ribs in Memphis. The night before we flew to Nashville we were watching Man vs. Food and the presented was at Rendezvous raving about it.

I have to admit, when I first came here in December a few years ago, I wasn't all that impressed - but I think it might have had something to do with the company. However this time, it was a completely different story...

We both went for the ribs and brisket combo plate, with homemade coleslaw and baked beans. Unlike other Tennessee ribs, Rendezvous uses a dry rub, apparently (according to Man vs. Food) this is a Greek think not an American thing at all, but either way it's DELICIOUS!
Our ribs didn't last long, I think we'd more or less liked the paper on the plate within 10 minutes and I could have happily eaten it again (although I don't think my heart would have been as happy with me if I did).

We must have arrived at a good time, we were able to walk in and get a table straight away, but as we left it seemed like a bus load of people just arrived, then later in the evening the alley was full of people waiting to get tables, there must have been well over 50 people sitting around outside.

In the Memphis vs. Nashville ribs battle - I'm not sure we could pick a winner. Jack's were delicious and juicy and the BBQ sauce was that deliciously sticky stuff, and Rendezvous were absolutely amazing and smokey and really different with the dry rub... so it's a tie, but Rendezvous does win on one thing...

It's the only restaurant I know to have an road alley named after it!

No comments:

Post a Comment