Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sneaky Peek...

When I was walking to the gallery to see ESPO's exhibition, I noticed the great big 'New Yorker' sign on top of the hotel - I've wanted to get a good photo of this for AGES, so I thought I might be able to get a good view from the gallery.

Unfortunately you couldn't really see if from the gallery windows, but as I was leaving a thought 'I wonder if you can get on the roof'... so when I got in the lift I pressed the button for the top floor. It was only the 6th floor, so it was very high. 

Then I got out of the lift and saw the staircase leading up even higher... so I sneaked passed some of the doors on the 6th floor and made my way up the staircase...


At the top there was a big metal door, with a sign saying 'Emergency Exit - Push and alarm will sound'. I could hear the wind whistling outside and could see the door knocking backwards and forwards a bit. I looked at the alarmed lock a bit closer and saw that there wasn't anything attaching it to the door, so I veeeeeery gently started pushing the door open, waiting to hear if there was a 'click' and then an almighty wail of a fire alarm...

Nothing.

I pushed the door wide open onto the windy roof. Then just as I was closing the door I realised there wasn't a door handle on the outside!!! I quickly stopped myself from closing the door and looked around for a brick or something to wedge the door open with...

Nothing.

I ended up taking my shoe off and putting that inbetween the door and the frame... hoping that it wouldn't fall out of the way - otherwise I'd be stuck up there!

I quickly walked over to the edge of the roof to see if I could get a good view of the New Yorker Hotel. Unfortunately the view wasn't that great up there either...


So it was a bit of a waste mission - but it was an exciting adventure though – I felt like Jason Bourne or something!

My mission to get a decent photo of the New Yorker sign continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment