Friday, September 21, 2012

Michael Kiwanuka...

The other night I went to see Michael Kiwanuka play at Webster Hall – he was absolutely incredible...

I was pretty miffed and tired after getting absolutely soaked by the rain and having to wait until 10pm before the gig started, but as soon as he and his brilliant band started playing I forgot all about that and just enjoyed is amazing voice...

He sounded just like he does on the album - or better, if that's possible!

I can't remember the last time I've been to a gig where hearing someone's voice was so impactful, it was so soulful and smooth, and absolutely flawless, no bum notes or anything... just perfect.

He played pretty much his whole album, with some extended versions of some songs as well as a Jimi Hendrix cover. He was talking about how much of an influence Hendrix was on him and his music, which at first you don't really hear (there aren't any crazy solos), but then when he did the cover it all clicked...


It was an such amazing gig - he's playing in Brooklyn tonight and I'm very tempted to go and see him again. Thank you Mops & Pops for introducing me to Mr. Kiwanuka's music - if you get the chance to see him play live, you MUST go –  you'll love it!



I was supposed to be going to see Bahamas play on Wednesday night, but I ended up working late instead... at least I got see Mr Kiwanuka though, and maybe I'll get another chance to see Bahamas soon. Funnily enough, they've been playing some dates together on their tours - that'd be a great gig!

No comments:

Post a Comment