Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Word Is Worth A Thousand Pictures...

Yesterday afternoon I went over to the Joshua Liner Gallery in Chelsea to see Stephen 'ESPO' Powers's exhibition, titled 'A Word Is Worth A Thousand Pictures'...

When I walked through the gallery doors I could see Mr. Powers himself standing over in the corner of the room talking to someone else... he must have popped in to see how things were going... other than him and this other person, I had the gallery to myself.

There were so many great pieces in the exhibition, there were about 6 large square pieces, all full with funny little play on words and pictograms...

 I really love the way he plays with words and phrases and puts new spins on them.

It was funny seeing some pieces that he'd been working on when I had a nosey around his studio too. They were all finished now and looking fantastic on the white gallery walls...

 I love these black square ones.

There was a little section that was dedicated to Icy Signs, the people he works with and who helped put the exhibition together with him...

 It was a brilliant exhibition (and his first solo exhibition in New York for 7 years I think!), and it meant even more to have seen him working on some of the pieces in his studio just a few weeks ago...

I recently found out that Steve Powers has painted a LOT of the signs down at Coney Island! He painted the carts on the Cyclone, he painted the dodgems signs, he painted the signs at the Arcade under the Wonder Wheel and he painting a load of signs near the boardwalk too... I've looked at them so many times thinking how great and authentic they looked... turns out if was him all along.

I wonder where his work will pop up next?!

No comments:

Post a Comment