Friday, April 13, 2012

Red Hook...


Yesterday morning I took yet another trip to IKEA for work (I seem to be the Ikea person now). Ikea's down in an area of Brooklyn called Red Hook - it's a a pretty quiet area, it used to be a really industrious area, but now it feels deserted.

They've been building some new apartments down there, and the area's tipped for a bit of a boom. There are some hidden bars and restaurants down there, and the Six Point Brewery's tucked away there too.

It feels like a bit of an undiscovered, untapped gem really - there's loads of beautiful old factory buildings with amazing views across the water towards the Statue of Liberty. I would LOVE to have a converted warehouse apartment down there...

I really enjoyed walking around and exploring. It was so quiet and peaceful, the sun was shining and the water looked lovely - I could have quite happily just mooched around all day, but unfortunately I had a desk to buy and get back to the studio.

As it was early a lot of places were shut, but I definitely want to go back to Red Hook and have a better explore, go to some of the little cafes, maybe to the brewery for a tour. Apparently they do tasty lobster rolls at the cafe at the Fairway Market. The Fairyway Market's in a beautiful old building, with all these arches windows and shutters...

The cafe is at the back of the market and looks out across the water. If it was a sunny day like yesterday I think it'd be the perfect place for a little lobster roll.

There's also a cycle lane that goes all the way down to Red Hook, so watch this space - I might take a little bike ride down there very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment