Saturday, July 18, 2009

Brooklyn BBQ


I think this is the first Saturday I've not left Brooklyn, it's the first Saturday that I've not gone on the subway into Manhattan, it's the first Saturday that I've barely left the apartment... but it's been a rather lovely day.

After doing about 7 or 8 loads of washing in the basement, and making sure my room was dust free and clean for Abi's arrival tomorrow, I was feeling pretty pooped... Jae popped his head round the door to ask if I'd like to join him and a couple of his friends for a BBQ on the roof. I went with Jae to the fish monger round the corner. I didn't even know there was a fish monger around here, let alone a couple of blocks away - and the best thing is, they do FISH & CHIPS! Admittedly, they didn't look quite up to Bakewell's standard, but I'll sample them soon - it's only fair. I think I'll be going there for some tasty prawns in the future.

We got shrimps, scallops, halibut and red snapper! Jae and his two friends are all Korean, so they treated me to a traditional Korean chicken stew which we had after the skewered shrimp and the rest of the fish, with sticky rice and Korean Wild Berry Wine (and Brooklyn Beer!). It was delicious and his friends were so friendly.

They were telling me that there are some great places in China Town to get really cheap food like delicious dumplings (6 for $1), so I think I'll be venturing out there very soon.

It was so nice to sit on the roof, having a BBQ, chatting (about Top Gear, they love it here!) and sipping fruity wine - it was a lovely afternoon, it was great to get to know Jae a bit better too.

Now I've got to get back to sorting out my room a bit more!

1 comment:

  1. Well I guess everything will be clean and tidy after * hours of sorting things out! It's amazing that Abi is with you and everything is falling in to place.
    You are going to be an expert on food from around the world before too long.

    Hope you have great week. Speak to you soon. XX

    ReplyDelete