Saturday, March 9, 2013

Bowery Art Wall - In Progress...

I walked passed the Bowery art wall today and actually saw some of the work in progress!

The How & Nosm mural had been painted over and replaced with huge letters spelling 'Marty' - when I saw the people painting the wall I thought they looked a lot like How & Nosm, but thought it was a bit weird that they'd be painting over their own mural.

I also didn't really know what Marty was about, but thought all would come clear once they'd finished.

When I got back this evening I saw How & Nosm had posted a picture on their Instragram of the finished piece - each letter of Marty had a different design in and at the bottom they'd written 'Happy Birthday Martha Cooper'...

After a bit of Googling I found out that Martha Cooper is a legendary photographer who has been documenting graffiti and street art since the 70's. She heavily documented the graffiti on the New York subways in the 70's and 80's - now she's 70 years old and still photographing street art.

Now I know what the piece is for, it's a lovely idea! I wonder how long it'll stay up before the next artist has their turn. I'll have to pop back to Bowery and get a photo of the finished piece before it's painted over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment