Sunday, March 14, 2010

Out & About...

Today has been super soggy, but at least it wasn't non-stop torrential rain, so I went out for a wander about town this afternoon. I got off the subway at 1st Avenue and walked up to Macy's and back again. It's always great walking about and going up streets that I've not been to before - I think I've only been up 1st Avenue a couple of times since I've been here... and there's not really anything to see on 1st Avenue, but if you stray off like I did you might find Gramercy Park.

I've not taken any photos because it was so wet, but I'm definitely going to be going back there - Gramercy Park's a little square park surrounded by some very grand looking buildings, some hotels, some club houses and some apartments. Some of them were very gothic looking, some looked quite European, some we modern some were really old. It'll be lovely to go back there and explore when the sun's shining.

Walking up 5th Avenue's always nice, heading straight towards the Empire State Building - which today, was hiding from everyone in the rain clouds...

Just off 5th Avenue, a little bit after Madison Square Park (and next door to the Museum of Sex) is the Gershwin Hotel. It's such a fantastic building - I think it's one of my favourites in New York. I remember seeing it when I first came to New York with Uni, it'd be great to stay there. I think it's split, there are some hostel type shared rooms, and then there are some fancy hotel rooms and some apartments... one day... maybe.

It looks like it belongs in Paris or Barcelona or something - it's bloody brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment