Sunday, March 14, 2010

Look To The Skies...

A few days ago I read a few tweets by Pentagram talking about a new installation on the roof of their studios - it was a sculpture by Mr. Antony Gormely as part of his 'Event Horizon' work. I'd been meaning to go and have a look at it for a while, so as I walked up 5th Avenue I looked up to the skies and saw the chap standing there.


It's a clever idea, putting these figures up on the roofs of Manhattan - I've read that he had 30-odd figures around New York, but most of the photos I've seen are ones that were on the ground, so maybe Pentagram have bought this particular one.

It's funny to think that some of his work has been in the gardens at Chatsworth and now some of his work is just up the road from where I work in New York - it helps make home seem a little closer in a way.

As I walked past the building, I noticed that very small, in the background - just over the Pentagram Man's shoulder was another figure. He must have been over on 6th Avenue or something - standing even higher up on the skyline. There's something slightly spooky about the sculptures - I suppose it's a little bit like the ones that were on the beach near Liverpool, there's the risk of people mistaking them for real people and thinking that they need to call the police... On the other hand, they feel almost like guardians watching over everyone, there's something quite peaceful and calming about them.

When I was walking back towards Union Square, I noticed another figure standing on the top of the building, just a little bit down from the Flatiron Building. I'm going to do a bit of investigating and see just how many figures are dotted around Manhattan and see if I can find anymore before 'Event Horizon' is finished.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, funnily enough these sculpturs have been reported in The Times in refercne to people thinking they are "jumpers". I like the watching over you feel better.

    ReplyDelete