Sunday, June 16, 2013

Philadelphia's Magic Gardens...

After my Market Street adventure I had a mooch around South Street - a VERY different area of town! South Street's full of nice new restaurants and little boutiquey shops, it feels like quite an arty area and somewhere that's become 'gentrified' over the past few years.

When I was wandering around I came across a huge mosaic wall, which was surrounding what looked like a huge courtyard full of weird and wonderful mosaic walls.

It was part of the Magic Garden's - a big maze of walls covered in broken plates, mirrored glass and anything else that would stick...

 There seemed to be a number of buildings that had been covered in a similar mosaic style, round the corner from the entrance to the garden was a whole building that had been covered, on every side! They'd even shoved a whole bike sticking out of the wall!



It wasn't really my cup of tea, but it the scale of the thing was incredible! It must have taken them AGES to complete it... although it looked like the kind of thing that was never quite finished.

Maybe if I go back in a few years the whole street will be covered in broken plates!

No comments:

Post a Comment