Thursday, June 6, 2013

Morning Drama...

This morning, I was happily drinking my cup of tea when a load burst of sirens went passed the window. I was tutting to myself because I thought the firemen were being extra loud trying to wake everyone up with their noise. Then a couple of minutes later there were more sirens, and then some more... so then I felt a bit bad because there obviously was a proper emergency.

Then it all went quiet for a while, and we just left the flat as normal, but when we stepped out onto Myrtle Avenue we could see that the emergency was happening very close to home!


The road was completely jammed with about 10 fire engines and another 10 smaller vans and trucks!

There had been a fire in the empty old Cascade laundry building on the corner of Myrtle and Marcy Avenue... it all looked very dramatic from the road, but looking closer it didn't look like there was too much damage, if anything it just looked the firemen had gone in and opened all the windows.

There were SO many firefighters knocking around though, there must have been 20 of them in a line all passing the hoses to each other... it must have been a quiet morning.

I suppose it could have been a lot worse, if there were still chemicals and things inside the building - or if it was all dry and old in there the fire could have spread quickly.

You could smell the burning and smoke smell really strongly in the subway station, which was directly beneath the Cascade building.

I wonder if it'll all be cleared up by the time we get back from work tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment