Friday, January 6, 2012

JR...

When I was walking down Wooster Street today I saw these big eyes peering over the hoarding...

I've seen a few pieces like this down around SoHo, they're all done by an artist called JR who won the TED Prize in 2011 for his inspiring work all over the world but especially in the townships in Africa and Brazil. He takes beautiful black and white, close up (sort of fish-eye lens) portraits of people and then blows them up on a huge scale and pastes them up in places.

He recently had some big eyes just like these up on the art wall down on Houston Street, and now there are some smaller pieces appearing around town...

I love them, for some reason they don't seem as intrusive as some of the graffiti tags, despite being ten times the size.

It's a bit long, but if you have a spare 25 minutes here's the TED talk that JR gave about his on going project 'Inside Out' - where he explains a bit more about the work he's done around the world. It's a really great talk...


Hopefully I'll be able to spot some more of his pieces around town soon, maybe he's been to Brooklyn?! I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment