Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Art of Flight...

A few weeks ago I saw a load of posters for a film called The Art of Flight - it's a snowboarding film that's been doing a world tour in little cinemas. Unfortunately I missed the New York showing when it was on, but I was so inspired by the trailer for it, I ordered the DVD.

We watched the DVD a little while ago, and it was an absolutely stunning film - amazingly shot and with a brilliant soundtrack. It was incredible.

So I was VERY excited when I saw that it was going to be shown in Brooklyn as part of the New York Snow Film Festival. On Thursday night we went along to the Nitehawk cinema in Williamsburg to see the film on the big screen.

The Nitehawk cinema's a funny little place, with a restaurant and bar downstairs and another bar upstairs with tables and chairs set out facing the big wall above the stairs. It turns out that the bar IS the cinema, and they project the films on the big screen, and you sit having a drink watching the film. It all felt very Brooklyny - it was great.

So I walked in and handed my ticket receipt to the barman, who looked it up on his computer, pulled a puzzled frowny face, turned back to me and said "These tickets were for Tuesday. It's Thursday today..."

I'd got the bloody dates wrong! So we didn't get to see the film afterall, but he did give me a free drink and offered me tickets to the film that they were showing that night... but we decided to give it a miss instead.

However, from this annoying event, came a lovely evening. Abi and I went and had a very relaxing and romantic meal at Aqua Santa near Bedford Avenue, sitting in their greenhousey bit, with all the twinkly fairly lights around us. It was so peaceful and calm and the food was delicious and we were able to just sit and chat and eat and forget about work and my inability to read dates right.

So, it started as a rubbish evening, but ended up being a perfect one.

Here's the trailer for Art of Flight by they way...


It's beautifully shot isn't it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment