Tuesday, November 22, 2011

3rd Ward (Part 2)...


Yesterday was the second part of my screen printing course at 3rd Ward. It was another fantastic afternoon, and this time we got to get our hands dirty and do some actual printing!

The 3 hours absolutely flew by as we practiced making prints and then did some for real. We got to choose from a load of different colours, print on different surfaces, some people had materials to print on, some people had t-shirts, I opted for some special card instead.

The prints came out pretty good, and I was able to play with some different papers and different coloured inks and stuff. It was actually a bit harder than I thought - it's not as simple as running the squeegee over the screen and that's it. I think it'll take a few times to get the hang of if, but I definitely want to keep doing it.

We got to keep our screens and the squeegee, so I can do some more prints once I get some inks and stuff, but I'd really love to make some new screens with new designs and have a play with some other papers, colours, materials...

After the class finished I had a tour round 3rd Ward to see what the other work spaces were like. It's a really amazing place, the wood working space is amazing and the metal work area's really exciting, the photography studios are HUGE and there's some really beautiful, calm areas to work on your Mac too.

I think I'll be looking into some other classes to do there, I was just looking on their website and there's an electric guitar restoration class and a beekeeping class! I'd love to be an urban beekeeper!

For now though, I'm going to work on perfecting my screen printing! It's so much fun.

1 comment:

  1. You are keeping us all in suspense - what can the finished product be we wonder. So pleased that you have enjoyed it and found another place to vent your creativity.

    ReplyDelete