Tuesday, November 15, 2011

3rd Ward (Part 1)...

Yesterday afternoon I went along to the first part of my screen printing course at 3rd Ward in Brooklyn.

3rd Ward is a big creative hub in a converted warehouse in a really industrial part of Brooklyn. They've got all sorts of workshops there, from cycle repair to woodwork, from jewellery making to screenprinting. You can take lessons in all the different things, or become a member and use their facilities, or if you're a freelancer you can rent a desk and computer so you have a base to work at.

It's a fantastic place, you walk passed these industrial factory type buildings, builders yards and garages and wonder if you're in the right place - but then you walk into the building and it's brilliant and super professional looking.

There were lots of people buzzing round, all doing different things and as I walked to the 'classroom' that my class was in I was a jewellery making studio and a business management class taking place.

The class was great too, very informative - and really geared towards people who want to do screen printing on a good level, but at home rather than in an expensive print shop. So hopefully after the class I'll be able to get all the stuff I need and start producing some screen prints of my own at home.

The time flew by, as there was so much to take in, but at the end of it all I came away with my screen all prepped and ready to start making prints with next week. I don't want to show you the designs just yet, so here's a little teaser...

 I can't wait to get back there next week and learn to make some prints!

1 comment:

  1. We'll all look forward to limited edition , signed prints of the mystery object in the near future!

    ReplyDelete