Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Day...

For a lot of New York, today was a Snow Day!

The subways were only half full, the farmers market had only a handful of stalls setting up and nobody was in the office apart from us Elmwoodians. The forecast had been for snow the night before, but I didn't really have my hopes up for any decent amount (I'd been disappointed the previous week with similar rumours or 'Snowmageddon' heading our way)... but this morning I woke up, looked out the window and saw a lovely blanket of snow on Myrtle Avenue and big chunky flakes falling down.

Union Square was lovely and peaceful this morning.

It didn't stop snowing all day so when I left work this evening there were big walls of snow along the pavements where all the snowplows had been out.

The fire hydrants all had little hats too.

Poor Ghandi was looking a bit cold in Union Square, wading his way through the snow...

This chap was clearing the pavements outside Whole Foods, there were two of them wearing the same coats and the same fantastic wellies - I want some!

One thing I've noticed on the odd occasions it has snowed, they are incredibly quick to get out and clear the pavements, the other day when there was a small layer in Brooklyn people were out clearing the pavement outside my apartment. It was really impressive - although I expect it's to stop anyone slipping and hurting themselves and then suing the snow or something!

There's more snow forecast for next Friday - I hope we get LOADS so I can have a snow day and go and take some proper photos with my proper camera instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment