Monday, February 1, 2010

International Evening...

To continue our international themed evening, the Welshman, Thai lady, Japanese lady and I went onto the White Horse Tavern in Greenwich Village, famous for it's past regular Dylan Thomas who drank there shortly before he went home, became ill and died! I'm sure it's nothing to do with the beer though... I hope. Apparently Jim Morrison used to drink there too, but things didn't turn out to great for him either...

After a drink there we went next door to the Dublin 6, an Irish bar that thankfully wasn't themed like all the other Irish bars in Manhattan - it was nice and cosy and had an open fire. We left there after it got a bit noisy.

Around the same area as the White Horse Tavern is a very special shop called Myer of Keswick, I think it might come in very handy when I'm feeling homesick and in need of some home comforts (http://myersofkeswick.computerperfect.com/Home.html). It sells all things British, Ribena, Jelly Babies, Ambrosia Custard and even Irn Bru!!!! The shop was apparently set up by a butcher's son from Keswick, he realised that lots of ex-pats wanted decent sausages so he set up a sausage shop, then over time I think he just added some extra bits and pieces... like Monster Munch!

After pressing my face up on the window of the shop for about half an hour, looking at all the lovely things that we have back at home, we went on to a bar that Syan said Damien Hirst goes drinking in when he's in New York...

It was in the Meatpacking District, which I love - but when we arrive outside the bar I noticed it was 5 Ninth, the restaurant Mops, Pops and I went to when they first came out. It certainly felt very different, in the summer we sat outside and it was boiling hot and the restaurant was heaving, but last night it was freezing outside and the whole place was extremely quite and cozy, it was very nice. I have to say though, I'm glad I decided to buy a round in one of the cheaper pubs, the Meatpacking District is a wee bit expensive - but a nice treat though for a special belated Burns Night.

1 comment:

  1. There must be a joke out there about a Welshman,Asian and a Brit in New York...

    ReplyDelete