Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Eisenberg's Sandwiches...


For lunch yesterday Eliot took us to Eisenberg's Sandwich to celebrate a big win we'd had in Leeds. I wasn't really expecting much from the outside, or from the inside really - but Eliot was raving about it. It looked very dated, and cramped - as you walk in there's a narrow space to walk down, trying not to knock the people sitting up at the counter we walked to the back of the shop to see if they had any tables available, but the place was heaving, and we'd soon find out why...

We sat up at the counter and looked at the menu, it was full of typically New Yorky sandwiches like Pastrami, or Reubens (which I've just looked up, is corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing), burgers and omelets, 2 eggs any style... fries, onion rings, coleslaw - the lot.

The man at the counter let us try some of the Pastrami... it was the most delicious Pastrami I've ever tasted, it was so thin and light and looked just like extra thin bacon - it was incredibly tender and was really yummy having it hot (I've only had cold pastrami before).

I settled on a Meatloaf sandwich and no sooner had I finished the 'wich' part of my order, my sandwich had been made. I wish I'd taken a photo of it because it was HUGE, it was about 2 1/2 inches thick! It was absolutely delicious, even better with a bit of coleslaw and onion rings.

As we were sitting eating our sandwiches we looked up at all the photos of celebrities that eat there regularly, I didn't really know who many of them were but I recognised the Bruce Springsteen's guitarist from the E Street Band, Tim Allen, Geoff Goldblum and Cynthia Whatsherface from Sex And The City. Maybe if I go there enough they'll put my photo up on the wall.

It was great sitting there hearing all the orders come through, seeing them all fly out, hearing everyone enjoying the food, hearing the regulars come in and talking to the guys behind the counter - one man came in and sat next to me, he was obviously a regular because when ordering his omelet he said '...and if any onion rings happen to fall onto my plate, that'd be good!' so he got a free side of onion rings!

I think Eisenberg's will become a new place to have a treat for lunch every now and then - it was super fast, reasonably priced and absolutely yummy.

Eisenberg's Sandwiches - Done!

1 comment: