Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sand Art Part II...

As I walking through Union Square this afternoon I spotted the mystery sand artist in action! His name is Joe Mangrum (www.joemangrum.com), and I have a feeling these Union Square art attacks are a regular thing now - so expect more photos to come...

It was great being able to see him actually creating the sand art this time, he had attracted quite a crowd too. I was a bit surprised he was doing it this afternoon because it was a wee bit windy - it obviously wasn't windy enough though because he was creating another amazing piece.

He has lots of bags of sand, all different colours, he reaches in, grabs a fistful of sand and then lets it flow through his fist making a little funnel between his hand and his little finger. He makes it look incredibly easy, but I have no doubt that there's a lot of skill involved.

He was using some fantastic bright colours this time - the flowers were really pinging off the pavement.

I think he was only part way through as it doesn't look as full as the other time, or the pieces on his website - but it was already looking great.

Maybe next time I'll get to see one at a different stage - right at the beginning? Or maybe when he's clearing up... who knows? I'll let you know as soon as I see him again.



2 comments:

  1. I wonder how long it takes to complete and how long they stay in place? We'll wait to hear!

    ReplyDelete