Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Gonzales...

Last Friday (at Midnight!) I went to go and see a show at Joe's Pub on LaFayette Street (it's opposite the Blue Man Group Theater), it was a 'Piano Talk Show' by Gonzales. Gonzales plays and produces for Feist and Jamie Lidell, so I thought it'd be good (I went hoping the Feist might make an appearance).

Please Note: None of these pictures are my own, my iPhone photos were a little shaky after I ordered a Jack Daniels and coke and they forgot to put the coke in it!


After queuing for AGES, I finally got in - it was lovely inside, much smaller than I was expecting, it felt like a very intimate lounge, with tables and booths near the stage and then a raised level at the back where the bar was...

Gonzales did his show first, he joked about no-one knowing who he was and that he never plays in America because the press hate him, but in Paris he's a massive rockstar, that's why he lives there. He was very funny, it was more like a stand-up performance than a gig.

Then a little later Jamie Lidell came on stage and sand a little song with him, Jamie Lidell's got a great voice (I hope this video works...)



Andrew W.K. had been challenged by Gonazales via. an internet TV channel to a piano dual, and he'd accepted and then went onto win. It was all very funny (and a little scripted me thinks), but it went on for bloody AGES, I was pooped after a bit of a busy week at work, it was 2am and it was still going on!

Gonzales doing a bit of showing off... he was incredibly good!

It was a fun night, and a really different kind of gig - I hope there'll be another gig coming up soon, I'll have to see who's playing...

1 comment:

  1. Was Feist there?? I love it when my i pod is on shuffle and a Feist song comes on, it reminds me of when we went together.
    It sounds as though you had a great time.
    It'd be good to speak soon, maybe next weekend? xxx

    ReplyDelete