Thursday, July 4, 2013

Warren 77...

We braved the monsoon like rain after the cinema and made a dash for a bar called Warren 77 (on Warren Street surprisingly!). I'd been wanting to go there for AGES because I'd seen pictures of a mural they had on their wall.

You'd probably miss it by walking passed, as it's just a corrugated iron entrance on the street, but inside it's fantastic. It's a mix of a dive bar and a sports bar, with great old antique sports stuff on the walls, and framed old baseball trading cards, tabletop Donkey Kong machines, tatty leather sofas and a framed picture of Hulk Hogan on the wall.

The menu looked pretty good too, breakfast burritos, nachos, burgers and chicken wings - I think we'll have to go back for some food next time.

But the main reason I wanted to go to the bar was to see the mural that an agency called Farewell had designed...

It was amazing!

Each section of the mural is made from lazer cut plywood and stainded in different colours.

It was so detailed - full of New Yorky sports references, most of them I didn't understand, but I just loved the look of it and the craft that went into constructing it.

Here's a wee video of the making of this amazing mural...


Hopefully we'll be able to go back, have some delicious food and get some better photos of the mural (I borrowed a couple of these from the Farewell website - I hope they don't mind!) - and hopefully one day, I'll be building a mural like this myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment