Saturday, May 14, 2011

Walkabout...

I had the day off work yesterday, I was taking back one of the days owed from working the weekend a couple of weeks ago.

I wasn't really sure what to do with my day off, the weather wasn't great and I'd not really planned anything. Abi had set me the challenge of finding, eating and enjoying a Croque Madame, so I knew I had one thing to do. I did a little research on the internet and found that there was a French restaurant near Bedford Avenue that served them for lunch, so I decided I'd walk there from our apartment rather than jump on the train.

It was about a 40 minute walk away, it probably wouldn't normally take that long, but I kept stopping to take photos along the way...

The area between our place and Bedford Avenue isn't all that much to look at, there are lots of garages and bodyshops, lots of high-rise flats with lots of Jewish people living there, but there were some nice little places along the way.

It was long before I started to recognise where I was, after about 20 minutes I'd reach Barcarde and the Kelloggs Diner, so it's good to know that they're within walking distance(ish).

It's not really until you stop using the subway, that you realise how close everything is really. I've been finding that quite a lot recently, just by walking around a bit more I'm finding where places lead to and what links with what a bit better.

These are probably pretty boring photos to look at, but on my walk I was noticing some interesting walls...

(There wasn't all that much to take photos of really!)

I finally reached my Croque Madame destination - a little french restaurant called Fada - which Abi and I had actually been to for a drink last year, but we've never eaten there. It was lovely, there weren't many people in there, but there were some French accents and some British accents and the staff were French, so it was the real deal.

I ordered my Croque Madame...

and it was absolutely amazingly delicious!
I could have eaten it 3 times over, it was so tasty. I'm making myself hungry just writing about it, now I think I'm going to have to go back for lunch today too.

After completing my mission, I kept on strolling around for a bit more, just enjoying being in Williamsburg with nothing to do but take in what was going on around me.

There's always so much to look at, so much going on and always the best people watching to be done in Brooklyn... I love it.

It was a nice little walkabout - not quite as big as my last 13 miler, which I'd love to do again - I've still got one more day to take, so maybe I'll do that then?

No comments:

Post a Comment