Friday, November 5, 2010

The Ace Hotel...

On Wednesday night I met up with Emma from Leeds! She's over in New York for a couple of days on a shoot, she's a photographers assistant now and they were over here to shoot Scarlet Johansson - I offered to help out on the shoot, but apparently my services weren't needed...

The photographer she's working with and all his crew were staying in the Ace Hotel, so I met Emma there. The Ace Hotel is absolutely ACE! It looks amazing. I'd mentioned it a while ago because when Steve was here we all went to go and have drinks there - or at least tried to, but it was super busy... it was super busy this time too.

It's really well designed, and has been all over the design blogs this past year or so. From the outside it looks like a grand old hotel, but inside it's far more grungier and rougher and apparently the rooms are more like studio apartments with a guitar and record deck in each and a smeg fridge for the mini bar!

There's great type all over the place, big letters and old signage and there's a design shop joined on to one side and a very nice looking restaurant on the other side called The Breslin.

(None of these are my photos, it was too dark in there so I nabbed these off t'interweb)

It was absolutely packed in the lobby and there was some kind of function going on, but I enjoyed mooching around the lobby while I was waiting looking at all the different bits and pieces dotted around. There were some lovely little touches and the whole thing felt veyr New Yorky... I wonder how expensive it is to stay there...?

It was lovely to see Emma again and hear her news, I think it'd been about 3 years since we last met up - it was nice hearing how everyone else we lived with in the 3rd year was doing, it sounds like everyone's off doing exciting things in exciting countries.

I don't think I'd ever have thought I'd be living in New York when I was at Uni, I dreamt about it, but I didn't believe it'd actually happen...

1 comment:

  1. Shows what an arty group you all are. It's great that the novelty hasn't worn off for you and that you're still loving it.Don't know how you all find these places bit there's something for everyone in NYC.

    ReplyDelete