Friday, August 19, 2011

Tee Time...

Last night we all went on a work outing to the Chelsea Piers to whack some gold balls on the driving range!

I have to admit that I wasn't really too bothered about going, I've never really seen the appeal in gold, apart from the beautiful courses and the fun buggies, but it was actually really really good fun.

There are so many different things to do at the Chelsea Piers, there's bowling, golfing, batting cages, ice skating, roller blading, skate boarding, swimming, running, football, and I'm sure a lot of other things - there's even a brewery. It's all over looking the Hudson River and the marina with all the beautiful speed boats parked up. It was yet another part of Manhattan that feels so completely different to anywhere else.

There was a wee bit of a wait for the cages, so we went to brewery for a few drinks first and stood admiring all the boats bobbing up and down on the river - and then out of nowhere a massive ligthning bolt came down right in the middle of the Marina! Luckily, the storm held off while we were on the driving range.

When our spots came available on the driving range, we got in the lift to the third floor (it was a three story range), the view was fantastic...

It was a beautiful time to be up there, just as the sun was going down - although as it got darker I found it harder and harder to see where my ball was going... I probably missed a few hole-in-ones!

Jonathan's a very keen golfer, so he gave us all a quick lesson which helped as I'd never played proper golf before, I don't think many of us had... but after a few goes I was getting the hang of it, apaprently I have a great swing... but as soon as that was said it all went down hill... I took quite a few chunks out of the astro-turf.

I have a feeling that Abi and I might go back to the driving range - it was very satisfying hearing the swoosh of air and then the thwack of the ball and then watching it in the air. I think the thing we enjoyed most of all was trying to hit the guy driving around in his buggy scooping up all the balls, we missed the whole night until Abi's very last shot, the last ball of the whole night - she got 'im!

Here's the master in action...


(The balls come up from the ground automatically and you change the height of the tee with a button!!!)

It was a really fun evening - but our arms ache a little bit this morning! We'll have to limber up next time.

2 comments:

  1. Do they have left handed golf clubs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough, both Abi and I were golfing right-handed? They did have a left handed section though, with the tee on the other side. Maybe we'll try it that way round next time?

    ReplyDelete