Sunday, August 22, 2010

Baby Talk...

Yesterday was a bit of a Baby Fest.

Around lunch time, Abi and I went down to Prospect Park for Malvina and Damani's Babyshower. I was worried it was going to be a bit girly with everyone talking babies, but luckily it was more like a normal BBQ, with yummy food and beer... phew!

I was a bit shocked though, the email invitation thing that we got had a link to two gift registers! So not only do people register lists, as they do for weddings, but Malvina and Damani had registered TWO! I'm not sure if people do that back at home, I suppose it cuts out getting many unwanted gifts. Still, blummin' cheeky if you ask me (we ended up straying from the list anyway).

Luckily, we didn't have to endure much baby talk or discussions about stretchmarks (it's bad enough hearing it all the time at work), we sat with Amelia and Claire (one of Malvina's friends at another design agency) and a couple (who I can't remember their names, but the bloke was British - they might have been called Mike and Elissa...?) who were very lovely, and they had a beautiful and veeery well behaved dog called Lupa. So I spent most of the time trying to get Lupa's attention and trying to work out if Mike was being serious when he said we could have her!

Prospect Park was heaving, we were in a special area for picnics and BBQs so there lots of big groups of people having different parties and gatherings, all cooking lots of lovely food, there was some kind of sports day going on at the far end of the BBQ field too - it was a lovely atmosphere. The surrounding areas of the park are beautiful too, lots of lovely brownstown townhouses with typical Brooklyn stoops - a dream house for Brooklyn (when we make our millions, that's where we'll live).

After we'd escaped, we went for a drink around Prospect Park, I'm not sure what area it was or what street it was, but it was a nice quiet area and another new bit of Brooklyn that we'd not seen before. There's so many places to go and explore, I don't think anyone would ever be able to see it all.

Then we went into Manhattan to go to the cinema, the plan was to see Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (which looks amazing), but just as we were buying the tickets we noticed that The Switch was out, so we had a last minute change of mind and watched that instead...

It was a lovely, funny film and it was more emotional than we'd expected, but it was great (people clapped at the end!). It's all about getting pregnant, having babies and relationships and stuff...

It's all set in New York, so it was great seeing places that we've been to, or places that are near us - there was a scene shot in Greenpoint in Brooklyn (somewhere that I'd posted a photo of a month or so ago) and there were lots of recognisable shots around Manhattan. It's funny getting all the references that are in films now, when they mention certain shops, like Duane Reade, or when they reference places in New York like Washington Heights. We know what and where they're talking about now! It gives me goosebumps when see places I know or when there's a beautiful shot of the Manhattan skyline and I get a wave of 'We live there!'... I wonder if it'll ever wear off (I hope not).

2 comments:

  1. don't worry we won't have a gift list

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll make your millions... I don't think that the feeling will ever wear off - I get goosebumps whenever I hear Empire State Of Mind or see places I've visited with you in film and on TV... I hope it'll NEVER wear off for you two!

    ReplyDelete