Thursday, May 27, 2010

By the Seaside...

After a lazy day in Brooklyn on Monday, we went to the seaside on Tuesday afternoon. It was blummin' BOILING and beautifully sunny, so we got on the N train from Manhattan (we'd been to the Coffee Shop for breakfast and then to Tea & Sympathy to order some food for a work lunch) all the way down to Coney Island.

Coney Island seems to be having a bit of a face lift at the moment, the boardwalk is getting new boards to walk on and the amusement park has had a lick of paint (including the Wonder Wheel) and it looks like there's going to be a new section of park open for the summer (just in time for Tom's arrival and the Hot Dog eating contest!).

I love Coney Island, with all it's characters and run down rides and shops, all the funny food huts along the water front selling hot dogs, clams, beer, corn on the cob and funnel cake. It's so funny to think that it's less than 30 minutes train ride from our apartment, it feels like a completely different country...

After a couple of hot dogs and a couple of beers on the beach we were a little sleepy and I stupidly fell asleep on the beach, so I am now trying incredibly hard not to scratch my incredibly sunburnt tummy as I'm typing this. Luckily Abi's not as sunburnt (she was more sensible with the suncream than I was), and she's letting me use her cocoa butter stuff to sooth the pain (it's working). I have a feeling we'll be going to the beach A LOT this summer, so next time I'm making sure we wear lots and lots of cream.

Here's a big panoramic view of the beach - it was so lovely to be there when it was so hot and to have so few people around... it felt like a perfect end to a perfect little holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment