Monday, June 25, 2012

Unseen Beatles...

Yesterday afternoon I went to the Morrison Hotel gallery in SoHo to see a new exhibition that's running called 'Unseen Beatles', with lots of unseen Beatles photos from Robert Whitaker and Curt Gunther.

When I got to the small gallery I couldn't help but notice there weren't any Beatle photos on the walls, I so I was a little confused. I asked the man behind the desk if I was in the right place. He said "Yes, do you want to see the photos?"... Yes... "I'll take you upstairs then".

So we left the shop, walked 5 doors up the road, and through a plain black door, up a narrow staircase and through another locked door which opened out into a big open room with white walls and dark original floor boards, with big leather sofas and a dog on the a rug at the front and a little kitchen area at the back - and the walls were covered in so many amazing Beatles photos...


You tend to see the same photos of the Beatles used over and over - but I really hadn't seen any of these ones before. Apparently the people at the gallery got to work with the photographers estate and trawl through their archives to pick which images they wanted to exhibit.

The prices ranged from $750 to $15,000 - the most expensive being a huge photo of Ringo relaxing, sitting back in an arm chair reading a Beatles magazine. It was an edition of only 15 and was signed by the photographer... hence the huge price tag.

My favourite by far were this set by Robert Whitaker...



at $8,000 each they weren't cheap - but I absolutely loved them.  Each photo had two red dots by the side, so I'm assuming they'd sold two complete sets already... I expect Liam Gallagher's bought a set already... if only I had $32,000 to spare!

It was such a great little 'secret' exhibition, and it was so nice to have the room to myself and to be able to talk to the man from the gallery about the photos and how they picked each one specially.

It really made my Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment