Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Waiting For The G...

Most nights on the way back from work we have a little wait for the G Train at Metropolitan Avenue station, and most nights there's a busker. There are a few that we see quite regularly, there's a girl who plays the ukulele and sings old 1950's songs, there's a young guy who plays the guitar and sing Radiohead songs, there's an Xylophone player who plays beautifully calming music, there's a Chinese man with dreadlocks who plays slide guitar, there's a couple who 'sing' together (but they really shouldn't!) and play the banjo, and there's a man who sings songs about waiting for the G train.

But last night there was someone new, someone playing on the other side of the platform, someone who looked remarkably like a French Where's Wally!

The sound of his accordian filled the whole station, it was fantastic - I don't think I'd ever heard an accordian player as accomplished as Wally (apart from Pops, obviously!). His fingers were lightning fast and he made it look so easy.

Just before the train came he played a song from the Amelie soundtrack, I love all the music in that film and it instantly made me smile hearing him play it. I was too mesmorised by him to record the whole thing, but I took this little video of the ending (the train rumbled into the station two seconds later)...


1 comment:

  1. Wally was back last night, he was on my side of the tracks and he was playing Lady GaGa's Poker Face in a Russian Polka style... As he was on my side of the tracks I was able to give him a bit of money (I felt a bit funny enjoying his music and filming it but not giving him anything the other day).

    There may be more videos to come...

    ReplyDelete