Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pepsi...

There have been a few times when we've been in a taxi, driving down the freeway that runs down the east side of Manhattan, and we've looked across towards Queens and seen a big bright Pepsi sign by the river. Each time I've said that I wanted to go and find it.

We used to see the sign from the window of the photography studio we were at a year or so ago, and I tried to work out where it was then too.

So this afternoon I went on a little adventure to find it...

It's in a part of Queens called the Gantry Plaza State Park, right down at the river across from the UN building. The area used to be where the Pepsi bottling plant was, and the sign has stayed there ever since. Being refurbished from time and time - but never changed to the new logo (phew!).

The park that's around it seemed very new, and very nice - even on a grey day - but unfortunately they'd closed off the area directly in front of the sign, but you can still see it up close...

I love big signs like this - especially when it's old branding. It makes me think how great it must have been when Piccadilly Circus and Times Square had physical signs like these, rather than big screens and projectors.

I'm glad I finally found it - but I'd definitely like to go back on a nice sunny day and be able to look out over the water and the Chrysler Building in the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment