Friday, December 23, 2011

The Chevin...

Last night Ben, Tet and I went to go and see The Chevin play at the Rockwood Music Hall in Manhattan.

The Chevin are a fairly new band from Otley! It's funny being all the way over here in New York and going to see a Leeds band with an audience half full of Leeds people - it's a small world.

I'd not really heard much of their stuff before going to the gig, Ben had seen them before in a small pub in York and noticed that they were playing New York. They were absolutely amazing though! Despite the fact that they were playing in a tiddly room at the Rockwood, to about 100 people (if that), their songs made it feel like there were 10,000 people all in an arena! They write such anthemetic songs already - I think they're destined to play to huge crowds!

They sound a bit of a cross between U2 and The Killers, and the singers voice is incredible! He was really belting out each note and had an amazing range. I didn't take any videos as my phone almost ran out of juice, but this video's off their website...


At the end of their short set (I wish they played for longer, but it was a free gig so I can't really complain!) they were selling their EP so I immediately went to get one, we've been listening to it all day at work! It's blummin' great.

We had a bit of an eventful journey home after the gig. Ben and I jumped in a taxi to head back to Brooklyn and as the taxi turned at the crossroads it got sideswiped by another car! It was veeeeeeeeeery minor, just a slight shunt really, but both cars had to stop in the middle of the busy Manhattan crossroads, much to the annoyance of all the other drivers.

Ben and I swiftly jumped out to leave the taxi driver to it and found another cab. It's funny, only the other day Abi and I were talking about how you never see any car accidents happen in New York. You very occasionally see cars that have had a bump and stopped - but never see them actually happen. I suppose we spoke too soon, as we got front row (or back) seats to one.

Apart from the wee crash, it was a fantastic night. I love seeing live music in these little places around New York. I have a feeling that'll be my last gig of 2011, so it was great to finish on such a high!

No comments:

Post a Comment